Every year when the Mid-Autumn Festival season approaches, I get giddy thinking about making mooncakes. First, I love to bake. Second, I love the artistry of making these cakes. The entire process from making the filling and dough, rolling and stamping the cakes is such a wonderfully creative process. Once done, each cake is unique and truly […]
Every year when the Mid-Autumn Festival season approaches, I get giddy thinking about making mooncakes. First, I love to bake. Second, I love the artistry of making ...
I admit it–I’ll eat anything rolled in rice paper. My all-time favorite dish is Pork and Shrimp Fresh Spring Rolls (Goi Cuon) and on its ...
Growing up my sister always called these “Cow Cakes” because “Bánh” in Vietnamese means “Cake” and “Bò” means “Cow”. My Mom would laugh and explain ...
During the summertime I love dining outside and am always looking for casual meals to take outdoors. So I love dishes where everything can be ...
It looks like an omelette but is often called a pancake or crepe. “Banh” means cake and “Xeo” means sizzle–that’s the sound the batter makes ...
These Chocolate-Dipped Frozen Bananas are cool, creamy and completely decadent. As the warmer months approach, they are the perfect summertime treat. With this easy recipe, you ...
I think I’ve discovered one of the most universally appealing snacks. While working on this post, I was searching for a few alternative names for ...
This classic Viet dish, Ginger Chicken, strikes a wonderful balance between zesty, sweet and savory. The ginger is mildly spicy and wonderfully fragrant. Add in the robust marinade and ...
This is my new favorite dessert and after you try this recipe it will become your favorite too. It’s the perfect combination of sponge cake ...
Love eating fish but dislike all the prep work? This fool-proof Baked Salmon recipe is a guaranteed winner and a great way to make a tasty ...
Soy milk has become so mainstream that it’s now very easy to find. Every coffee shop and most restaurants now offer it as an alternative to cow’s milk. Health food stores are fully stocked with a wide variety of soy milks in different flavors. I’ve tried most of the products on the market. They are good, inexpensive and quite convenient. If you have […]
Nothing is better on a hot summer day than having a cool meal to chase away the heat. Abundant noodles with a medley of vegetables and seafood in a light dressing makes this dish super scrumptious and refreshing. This noodle salad is so easy to toss together and can be served as a main meal or appetizer. If you […]
Herbs add such wonderful aroma, flavor and color to foods that it’s no wonder they’re such integral ingredients in Vietnamese cuisine. Without the inclusion of certain herbs, a dish could be rendered completely lacking and unappetizing. Can you imagine having Vietnamese Chicken or Beef Noodle Soup (Pho) without Thai basil? Just the aroma of Thai basil conjures to mind a big, […]
This dish brings back fond memories of cooking with my Mom when I was a child. She would set up a station in our kitchen and we would make hundreds of these Savory Rolled Cakes to enjoy that day and to save for quick meals later. My Mom would pour the batter and flip out the cakes. […]
More about me...
- Sponge Cake (Banh Bong Lan) May 14, 2013
- Cotton Cheesecake / Japanese Cheesecake May 7, 2014
- Steamed Rice Cakes/Cow Cakes/Steamed Honeycomb Cakes (Banh Bo Hap) July 31, 2014
- Sesame Balls (Banh Cam) November 19, 2013
- Vodka 5-Spice Marinade (Ruou Thom) March 6, 2013
- Snowskin Mooncakes Part 2: Making the Dough and the Cakes (Cach Lam Vo Banh) September 3, 2014
- Roll Cake/Swiss Roll/Log Cake (Banh Bong Lan Cuon) December 10, 2013
- Mooncakes with Coconut Filling (Banh Trung Thu / Banh Nuong Nhan Dua) September 26, 2015
- Soy Milk (Sua Dau Nanh) September 12, 2015
- Glass Noodle Salad with Seafood (Goi Mien Tron Hai San) August 27, 2015
- A Guide to Vietnamese Herbs August 16, 2015
- Savory Rolled Cakes (Banh Cuon) July 30, 2015
- Taro Smoothie (Sinh To Khoai Mon) July 16, 2015
- Beef Wrapped in Betel Leaves (Bo La Lot) July 2, 2015